Wednesday, October 21, 2009

FML

I finally went to the UCL library... first time in the month I've been here. It is beautiful. More so than a library, it looks like a museum of Renaissance art. It was huge and gorgeous and has a million different rooms with specific subjects. Students don't really buy textbooks here (which is great for me) because they do a ton of reading from many different books so the library is set up so it's easy to find books by subject.

As amazing as the library was with all its splendor [and the rows and rows of beautifully organized philosophy books, which I seriously got excited about like it was a chocolate store], it doesn't compare to Falvey Memorial Library at Villanova - which I just realized spells out FML hahaa.

Don't get me wrong, there is no doubt that UCL has a better library - by a million. What UCL doesn't have, though, is a community. I saw very few people socializing in the library, which is pretty much my reason for going to the library at home (Villanova). People were actually there to study and to get books and to do assignments. This isn't a bad thing... and of course that's a large part of the reason many students go to Falvey... but there was no sense of comraderie among students in the UCL library. It's not even set up to encourage that - there are long rows of study areas in grand halls - not home-y or cozy at all.

That's the difference between Villanova & other schools, especially large research universities. "Community" is one of those phrases Villanovans like to toss around a lot, but being at UCL has made me realize even more how special of a place it really is because of that community. But since I've chosen not to be there now, I might as well take advantage of the incredible library. Maybe I'll actually read for my classes this semester. Probably not.

Tourist notes: I went to Windsor Castle this Sunday. It was gorgeous - highly recommended - and the Queen was even there! Still haven't met her =/ The pictures don't do it justice -especially because you can't take pictures of the inside, which is aggravating since it's the best part. I love looking at the ceilings of the different rooms inside - they are so ornate and beautiful and unique and I'm legitimately jealous that I'll never have ceilings like that! It was such a cute town around the castle, also. It was part touristy (there was a Topshop) but part small-town England with many little pubs.

On the note of pubs, I think we need more in the US. It's completely acceptable to go to the pub everyday here just for a drink or two and to catch up with friends after school or work - or during - as they're normally crowded during lunch hours too. They provide such a cozy atmosphere, exactly the type that's conducive to spending quality time with good friends... which is -beyond anything else -my favorite thing to do. Maybe I'll open one. Probably not. But it would be so cool.

Peace. Love. FML ;)

1 comment:

  1. me and dave say that if he makes it with music or i make it with writing - we have to put the money towards opening a bar. could you imagine? maybe we watch too much It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - but i want it to happen. also, when we're 21 i am downnnn for everyday pub visits hahaha

    ReplyDelete